Space Grey M3 Garage Build Pictures

D

delirium330

I finally got around to taking a few pictures of the new (to me) spacegrau M3 in its new cave. It took me about 8 months to finally complete the garage. Thought I would post a few details of the build out.

1. If you are a true BMW enthusiast you should recognize the wall decal.

2. Floor: The floor is a 3 layer U.V Resistant Urethane. The first step was to machine diamond-etch the entire surface then fill and seal random cracks here and there. Then cut in border lines with a hand grinder so epoxy wouldn’t bleed. Followed that by a primer first layer, then primary urethane layer with colored chips put down to refusal (dumped over 100 pounds of chips until the urethane couldn't stick to any more chips, i.e. "to refusal" then let it dry and scraped off the chips that didn't stick. Then finally put down a clear coat top for a slick and reflective gloss look (and extra UV protection). This floor will won’t degrade for ~20 years or get hot tire peel up like your typical big box store DIY kits.

3. Walls: First we had to remove EIGHT built in cabinets that the previous homeowner crafted himself. We had drywall and fire tape from when we bought the house so we had someone come and do the drywall preparation. We then primed and sprayed the entire thing white, and then came back with the gray lower border spray. Last step was to use a laser level to cut in the black stripe. We actually were able to put down the stripe in about an hour with two people, the laser level, and taping off the edges. Lastly, I also put in a rubber base molding on the lower wall edges.

4. Lights: Went with 3 strips of T5 strip lights that I had to custom order because I couldn’t find them in any local stores. The T5 are extremely bright (versus standard T8) which are nice to have for DIY repairs. I put in a switch timer as well so I can turn them on when getting ready to leave and close the garage door as I’m driving out without having to jump out and turn them off.

5. Cabinets: The cabinets are all diamond plate style in black steel. The upper cabinets all have hydraulic struts. The lower cabinets have a maple butcher’s block on top. Also put in a under mount paper towel holder and picked up a stainless steel adjustable stool.

6. Accessories: I put in an old sound bar that wasn’t being used and ran the source cable through the wall into a wall jack for a direct line, but also have a Bluetooth adapter plugged in for music from a phone. I also put in mini-fridge on a rolling stainless steel cart, a wall mounted bottle opener with cap catch can and a mini-shelf to set a beer or phone for music. Lastly, I put up an atomic clock and a “M Production” poster near the door which also got a stainless steel kick plate.

7. The Car: 2010 E92 Space Gray, 3 Pedals, Black Leather on Carbon Leather Trim. Mods include: Akrapovic Slip-On Titanium Exhaust, 19" BMW 220 Wheels in Jet Black on Pilot Super Sports, black kidney grills, black side gills, black M3 badge, upgraded LUX H8-160 angel eyes, 70% tint and V1 Hardwire.